Friday, February 21, 2014

Being Cranky

Hi Folks, I must say I vanished midway through my so called Marathon rather unannounced.

Well, you being mommies, ladies, executives and slaves very well know the kind of demands this society often makes of us. And in the event of giving in to these demands, one is often left with ignoring ones' inner calls. Such as my inner call to reach out to you all through my blog. The call to write something funny, or sarcastic, or analytical - more importantly something fun.

You may ignore these calls, but then they come to haunt you. In the form of guilt. Sometimes that guilt grows so strong that you feel hesitant to face that inner call ever again. For example, I don't call my friends (inner call to call.. ironic!). No matter what excuse I give, it is not justified. I feel guilty about it. So I don't call them even more. Then my guilt grows a little more. And then it becomes so constant, that it turns into a vicious circle that I am ever unable to break.

The above might just be a rant for you. But you have to listen.

I am feeling very cranky because of it. When will I start addressing the things that I feel are truly important to me? Like joining that yoga class, finishing my book or calling that friend I havn't spoken to in years.

Life is just passing by too fast, and all I am managing to do is barely meeting deadlines.

This whole concept of working for a corporate employer seems flawed. It demands too much off your life in exchange for money. Money in the end, is meant to help you live the rest of your life well. But it takes away so much off your life, that you are barely left with any time to live life. Is living only on weekends justified? Or is even a 45 hour work week plus 10 hour commute justified? Who invented this? Who thought this was appropriate?

Why should I earn all the money that I will probably spend on putting my kids through college and getting them married. Where is my share of convenience?

When I die, I dont wanna have one of those top 5 regrets that I heard on one of the TED talks today.

1 - Wish I hadn't worked so hard
2 - Wish I had stayed in touch with my friends
3 - I wish I had let myself be happier
4 - I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself and not the life others expect of me
5 - I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings

Hmm. Lets start addressing them today. Better be happier than regretful. Gosh. I am getting quite deep.

I am more bothered about points 1, 2 and 4. So I will try to do something about them. What about you?


1 comment:

megha said...

that vicious cycle about not calling up friends and feeling guilty and so not calling them... feeling more n more guilty... SO TRUE!!!